Your pet is a part of your family, loved and loving. 58% of Canadian households report owning at least one pet. You adore your pets but they can be hard on your floors; leaving scratches, shedding hair requiring frequent floor cleaning and having accidents that cause staining and persistent odours. What do you do when your pet wreaks havoc on your floors? What type of flooring will stand up to life with the animal member(s) of your family? The following is an overview of some of the most popular types of flooring and how well they do or don’t handle the daily presence of your furry friends.
- Vinyl flooring is a great option for families with pets. Luxury vinyl tile and vinyl sheets are highly durable, long-lasting, and resistant to moisture, scratches, stains and dents. They hold up well against accidents and food/water bowl spills. Vinyl is easy to clean, easy to install and affordable. It will even soften the sound of pet nails and reduce skidding!
- Rigid core flooring combines the best attributes of many flooring products for the ultimate in dent, scratch and stain resistance. It’s a click-type plank vinyl flooring that doesn’t require any adhesives, is budget-friendly, comes in a wide range of styles and can realistically mimic the looks of both hardwood and tile. Rigid core flooring is waterproof making it perfect for water bowl spills and pets that are wet from the rain or a bath.
- Engineered tile: With engineered tile, you can achieve the authentic look and feel of traditional tile (stone or ceramic) with a scratch-resistant surface that is warmer and kinder to you and your pets. It is stain and soil repellent, easy to clean and absorbs sound. Wet or dry, it is slip-resistant, perfect for families with pets.
- Laminate flooring stands up against the scratches and stains of having a pet but is not typically fully waterproof. Moisture or puddles left to sit will be absorbed and may cause swelling and buckling. Laminate is not noise resistant and the slippery surface can be problematic for ageing pets.
- Solid wood flooring: Excessive moisture will warp and ruin this flooring but it is resistant to surface moisture, spills and accidents. Waterproof options are available and provide some moisture protection. Hardwood is susceptible to scratches, may be difficult underfoot for pets and the typical dark colours show dander and pet hair. Though hardwood flooring may be sufficient for small pets, it is unlikely to withstand the wear and tear of large dogs.
- Engineered wood floors give you the best of both laminate and solid wood floors. The wear layer may be able to be sanded and refinished if scratches or spills become problematic. Choose a finish that has a “rustic” or distressed look. These styles already look worn, and any scratch marks will naturally blend in.
- Cork flooring is a great choice for pet owners. It is antimicrobial, resistant to the development of bacterial growth, mold or other harmful allergens. It is scratch-resistant and sound-absorbing so cuts down on pet noises. Choose a lighter shade of cork flooring to minimize the look of any scratch marks. It requires little maintenance or daily upkeep and is an eco-friendly flooring that is good for the planet.
- Tile and stone flooring is water-resistant, stain-resistant and easy to clean. It can handle anything your pet throws its way. It is one of the best options when it comes to pet-friendly flooring. However, these floors are hard and cold making them uncomfortable for many pets. Make sure you provide soft area rugs or a pet bed somewhere in the house.
- Bamboo flooring is extremely durable, stain-resistant and scratch-resistant. Choose a style that has a high hardness rating. Food and water spills or pet accidents won’t damage these floors. Plus, bamboo is very sustainable.
There are plenty of pet-friendly flooring options on the market. Even with a scratchy, furry, accident-prone pet at home, it’s possible to have beautiful floors. You just need to find the right type!
Looking for quality flooring that can withstand the wear and tear of your pets? Contact Smith Bros. Floors, one of Canada’s oldest flooring companies; family-owned and operated. We use industry-leading flooring and finishes because we want your flooring to last! With a tested crew of installers and finishers and a lifetime guarantee on workmanship and longevity, Smith Bros. quality cannot be beaten! Call us at 403-255-7791 for a free consultation.